The LATA Foundation: Changing lives in Latin America
At Revealed Travel, we strongly believe in providing support and help for social projects in the regions where we work. In Latin America we are working with the travel industry to support a range of social projects throughout the region. These projects are helping to transform lives, providing clean water, dental or medical support and practical training to provide people with new skills in Mexico, Central and South America.
The LATA Foundation was set up by the Latin America Travel Association – a consortium of tourist boards, airlines, tour operators, hotels, ground agents, travel publishers, PR companies and the travel press – to put something back into the countries and region where we all work. Since it was formed in 2007, the LATA Foundation has donated over £220,000 to a wide range of environmental and social projects in Latin America.
The LATA Foundation is run entirely by volunteers, most of whom have a background in the travel industry. As LATA covers bank fees and administration charges, pays for any printing and publicity materials, it means that all donations go directly to projects and are not swallowed up by overheads. Projects themselves are carefully vetted, assessed and closely monitored to ensure that funds go where they are needed most.
In 2017 the LATA Foundation has donated £50,000 to 13 grassroots projects, including the following:
- Youth development, education, English-language and computing skills in Costa Rica
- Professional training for mentors helping disadvantaged youths in Colombia
- Support for secondary school pupils from low income families in Ecuador
- Ballet and football projects in one of Rio de Janeiro’s favelas, Brazil
- Teaching resources for an educational project near Cuzco, Peru
- Support for a community centre and tourist cafe at Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
- Vocational projects for disadvantaged children and young adults in Bolivia
- Helping to provide free dental treatment for disadvantaged children in Argentina
Useful Links and Further Information: